Press Release, March 2, 2018
How to prevent hearing loss and how to reduce its impact
On the occasion of World Hearing Day, a lunch debate under the headline “Hear the Future – and
prepare for it” will be held at the European Parliament in Brussels, March 6th.
Hearing loss is on the rise, both globally and in Europe, but how can we prevent it and how can we reduce
These issues will be discussed at a lunch debate at the European Parliament in Brussels on March 6th. The
lunch debate will be hosted by MEP Renate Sommer (Germany, EPP) together with co-host MEP Heinz
Becker (Austria, EPP).
The speakers and participants in the debate are:
• Dr Shelly Chadha, World Health Organization, WHO
• Professor Hélène Amieva, Inserm, Bordeaux
• Professor emerita Bridget Shield, South Bank University, London
• Lidia Best, European Federation of the Hard of Hearing, EFHOH
• Anne-Sophie Parent, Age Platform Europe
• Mark Laureyns, European Association of Hearing Aid Professionals, AEA